Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Journal 7: My Personal Learning Network (PLN)



A Personal Learning Network, or PLN, is a connection of people who learn from one another and share a wealth of knowledge with one another.  Through the use of Twitter, Diigo, and Classroom 2.0 I have been able to make connections with other students and educators who share similar personal and professional goals.  As a teacher I will benefit from having a PLN because I will get resources, ideas and feedback from the members of my PLN that will help me grow and mature in my career. 

To get a start on building my PLN I became a member of Twitter.  On Twitter I have set up a Hootsuit deck that allows me to have multiple columns to follow different streams.  I have been able to follow my home stream, edchat and mathchat.  Some of the people I'm following include David Craig, Jill Thompson, Jennifer Harden, Julie Hill Reulbach, and Laura Laing.  By folowing these people and hashtags I can get resources and see ideas posted by the people who tweet in these streams.  I am currently following a number of my classmates, my professor, and some of the participants from a mathchat discussion. 

On Thursday, July 28 at 5pm I participated in the mathchat discussion.  The subject was “how do I stimulate students seeing connections in math?”  Luckily I used Tweetchat to view the chat because the experience was very fast paced.  There were some good thoughts, and it was cool to have so many different people involved at the same time from all over the world.  Some of the ideas included applying math to real life, bringing in guest speakers, and leading students to connections. 

Diigo is another great networking tool.  It allows you to see sites that other people have bookmarked.  So, if you follow people on Diigo who are interested in the same educational things that you are, then you can benefit from the sites they bookmark and use them as resources.  I found five people to follow on Diigo, Erin Remple, Lesley Reilly, Karen Soohy, and Mariln Western.  I searched the community for subjects such as math, education, lessons, technology and PLN.  By doing this I was able to find Diigo members who bookmarked valuable sites related to things I am interested in, and I now follow these people.  I tagged three sites under PLN.  First I tagged a site that discussed the steps of building your PLN.  Then I tagged a site that further described how to develop your PLN.  The last site I tagged PLN discussed ways to find good teachers to follow in Twitter.  These sites will help me grow my PLN and benefit more from my PLN. 

In addition to Twitter and Diigo, I became a member of Classroom 2.0, a social network for educators, and those interested in education.    While on Classroom 2.0 I watched a video called “Rockin’ Rhombus.”  In this video a man walks around and asks a handful of people, mostly adults, three questions.  He asked for the definitions of a rhombus, and isosceles triangle and a trapezoid.  None of the people knew the correct answer and these were third and fourth grade standards.  This was astounding to me.  These adults had forgotten things so easily.  It makes me realize that it takes something special to get students to retain information, and as the video suggested, songs help students retain things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment